requently Asked Questions

* Click on a question to view the answer

Assignment Questions

• If I clear quarters before deployment, do I have priority on the wait list when I return?

No, the date you reapply for housing is your new eligibility date.

• If I currently live in housing on post, do I need any additional information regarding my deployment?

Yes, leave a point of contact for Rear Detachment with our management office; we may need to contact you regarding your allotment.

• What if I am a single parent and am deployed; can I appoint someone to occupy my home to take care of my children?

Yes. You must submit an Exception to Occupancy document with point of contact information, a copy of the Special Power of Attorney, and temporary guardianship paperwork designating your appointee as guardian of your child or children.

• What if I am deployed and my family wants to visit family for an extended period of time?

The spouse of the service member must submit a completed Point of Contact form to our management office, where he or she may also leave a key in a sealed envelope for emergency purposes.

• What do I do if my allotment for BAH has stopped for any reason?

If this occurs contact our management office or have your Rear Detachment contact us. If you are still a resident of our community the allotment will automatically start back up the next month, however, your past due rent is due immediately. Payment must be made at our office.

• What if I decide to move off post before/during my deployment?

We require written documentation of your deployment status stating you are deployed for more than 90 days as well as a 30-day written notice. If the service member is not available, the spouse will need a Power of Attorney to complete the necessary documentation.

• What are the requirements for vacating quarters?

A 30-day written notice is required before vacating quarters; notice should be given as soon as you are aware of your moving status. In the case of deployment, PCS, etc. contact our office as soon as you are notified; we will assist you in the departure process.

• What happens if my name is called on the wait list and I am deployed?

Make sure to include a contact number for your spouse on your initial application; he or she will be contacted and may sign for quarters on post, but will need a Special Power of Attorney for BAH allotment and prorated rent. Your spouse will also need to know how to contact and set up your transportation appointment.

• What is the process for the waiting list?

You may apply for housing 60 days prior to arrival. If housing is not available you may request placement on our wait list according to your grade and the number of bedrooms for which you qualify. We will refer units as they become available.

• How will the Assignment process work?

You can complete an online application or visit the Kirtland Family Housing Office to submit a written application. A referral certificate from the base Housing Management Office is required for every applicant BEFORE housing is assigned.

• Can a family be moved from a three bedroom to a two bedroom if they only have one child?

No, we do not downgrade our residents.

• What happens if my family size increases?

Contact the management office to make an Inter Base Move (IBM) request for a larger unit. You may be placed on a wait list if a larger unit is not available. Please be aware, the service member is responsible for the expenses incurred for this type of move.

Utility Questions

• Will I have to pay utilities for my home?

The Utility Allowance (UA) portion of your BAH will cover all or part of your electric and gas utilities, depending on your family's total usage. You may have to pay the difference if you utility expenses exceed your allowance. All other utilities are covered by Kirtland Family Housing, which includes trash and recycling collection and water and sewer services.

Payment Questions

• How will BAH work for families where both parents are military members?

Both members receive BAH; the senior member receives the with-dependent rate, while the junior member receives the without-dependent rate. Under current Department of Defense rules, only the senior member's BAH at the with-dependent rate is used to calculate rent due. The family may keep the BAH of the junior member.

• What does my rent include?

Rent includes all normal monthly expense for your home except electric and gas utilities.

• If my rent is late, do I need to pay a late fee?

Late fees apply for overdue rent and all other charges that are not paid by due date.

• How much is my rent?

Your rent is the BAH you receive, minus the Utility Allowance. BAH is based on rank and area of assignment, not on the size of the home.

• If I receive a promotion or demotion, what is the amount of my rent?

Rent increases for a promotion and decreases for a demotion. Your rent is always the amount of the BAH you receive, minus the Utility Allowance. It is your responsibility to notify the Kirtland Family Housing Office within five (5) days of any promotions or demotions.

• What is the eviction policy?

Residents may be evicted for non-payment, egregious acts, or failure to follow Community Policies. The Command will always be involved in all eviction proceedings.

• Will BAH be counted as income? Specifically, will it affect the cost of children's day care?

BAH is an entitlement and is not counted as taxable income, it is, however, included in gross income. Programs based on an individual's gross income may be affected.

• Who is responsible for answering our payment questions?

You may direct your questions to the Community Manager.

• The current year BAH amount for my grade and ZIP Code is less than I was getting last year-am I going to lose money?

No. BAH rate protection will keep individuals from having reductions in housing allowances as long as they maintain "uninterrupted eligibility" for BAH. If you maintain your duty assignment station, your rank, and your family status, you will always receive the higher BAH amount.

• Can I ever lose rate protection?

A change in your duty assignment station, your rank, and your family status "interrupts your eligibility" for the allowance. If you are promoted or demoted your BAH will adjust as your rate protection “resets” for your new rank. If your dependency status changes your housing allowance will be adjust to the new status and the applicable current BAH rate.

• Will rent be prorated if I move out other than the last day of the month?

Yes, rent is charged only for the days the resident occupies the home. The month is divided into 30 equal periods (no matter the number of days in the month) and rent is prorated accordingly.

• How will I pay rent?

Your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) pays for your rent. Your BAH appears on your LES as an entitlement and as a payment to Kirtland Family Housing. BAH is considered payment by Allotment, which is beneficial to service members as it does not require a Security Deposit for housing and all rent is due in arrears. For example, January rent is received on February 1st.

• How does military housing privatization affect a service member's Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH)?

Privatization has not changed the BAH amount, it simply allows service members living in privatized military housing to receive a BAH to pay a privatized housing provider. Prior to privatization, service members did not receive BAH if they lived in military housing; that changed under the Military Housing Privatization Initiative. At Kirtland a monthly allotment payment from the service member's BAH is automatically transferred to Kirtland Family Housing at the end of each month. This process is performed and monitored by Military Assistance Company, LLC (MAC), the world's largest processor of automatic payroll deductions for military and civil service employees.

• How will foreign students pay their rent since they do not receive BAH and cannot utilize paying by allotment?

Foreign students will pay rent monthly by check or money order; made payable to Kirtland Family Housing LLC.

• Please explain more about the BAH entitlement and rent allotment.

A service member's BAH is based on the cost of similar rental property near the base, typical utilities, his or her rank, and the typical cost of Renter's Insurance. An allotment from the service member's account is set up upon lease signing to pay rent to Kirtland Family Housing.

Pet Questions

• Is there a pet weight/policy?

Residents are required to include a "Pet Addendum" with their lease and pay a pet deposit of $250 per pet. Pets are limited to two (2) walking pets. Exotic pets are not permitted. Also NOT permitted are the following breeds of dog: Doberman, Pit Bull, Rottweiler, American Staffordshire Terriers, English Stafford Terriers, Bull Terriers, Wolf Hybrids, or any other breed with dominant traits geared toward aggression.

Maintenance Questions

• Whom do we contact with concerns of maintenance issues?

Contact the Kirtland Family Housing Maintenance Office via the website or call (505) 266-0079.

• How do we make a maintenance request?

Call (505) 266-0079 to report an emergency or request a maintenance repair. You can also initiate maintenance service via our website.

• Who will be doing service requests for the privatized quarters, and will residents be charged?

Kirtland Family Housing maintenance staff will perform all service requests at no charge--unless the problem is a result of negligence or inappropriate action(s) by residents. Requests are typically completed within 24 hours; residents are not required to be present during the service appointment.

• Will garbage be picked up?

Yes, trash and recycling collection services are handled by Kirtland Family Housing at no additional cost to residents.

Leasing Questions

• What if I receive orders to PCS or TDY for more than 30 days?

You are allowed to break your lease if you provide a 30-day written notice to vacate and a copy of the orders. Contact our office as soon as you receive orders; we will assist you in the departure process.

• What if I receive immediate orders and am not able to provide thirty (30) days notice?

If you receive “short orders” the 30 day requirement may be waived. “Short orders” pertain to receiving initial notification without sufficient time to fulfill the required notification process. We accept any form of documentation regarding your reassignment to start the notice process so please contact our office as soon as you are notified.

• Do I have to sign a lease?

Yes, all residents are required to sign a lease to protect themselves as well as the partnership.

• What if I decide to "break" my lease for other reasons, prior to the one-year expiration?

If you move out before your lease expires you are responsible for rent until your lease expires or a new resident moves into your residence, whichever occurs first.

• What happens if a divorce occurs in a family residing in Housing?

A divorce constitutes a change in eligibility; the service member/family no longer qualifies to occupy base housing and must vacate the home.

• How will I sign the lease if the military member is deployed or on an unaccompanied tour?

Your spouse can sign the lease in your absence if he or she has the Power of Attorney. Otherwise, contact the Kirtland Family Housing Office for further assistance.

• Please explain more about the lease.

The lease is a standard resident agreement used by all privatized military housing and civilian rental properties. Residents are required to sign a lease in order to reside in housing. The lease specifies the rights and responsibilities of resident and Owner. The lease also sets the service member's BAH as the monthly payment to Kirtland Family Housing.

• If I earn a promotion during the lease period can I move to another base house commensurate with the new rank?

Yes, a service member can request a move based on an increase in rank, the move is subject to housing availability and it will be at the service member's expense. Rent will be increased to match the increased BAH.

• If I am demoted during the lease period is my rent adjusted to my BAH?

In the event of a demotion you must notify the management office in writing. Such situations are assessed on a case by case basis; please contact our office to review your specific situation.

About Privitization

• What is the Air Force Privatization Program?

The Air Force Privatization Program is a government initiative which allows services to attract private capital to improve military housing.

• How does privatization affect the service that military members receive?

Kirtland Family Housing draws upon their private sector experience to provide first-rate services and amenities to our military families. We pride ourselves in our dedication to our residents; we consistently meet and exceed their needs and expectations.

• Will military members still have the option to live off-installation?

Yes, military members still have the option use their BAH to rent a house or apartment off base.

• What is the policy regarding satellite dishes?

Satellites dishes are allowed with prior written approval from management.

• What is the policy regarding sheds?

Sheds are allowed with prior written approval from management.

• What is the policy regarding trampolines?

Trampolines are allowed only in fenced rear yards; they must be properly secured to the ground and have a safety net approved by management.

Miscellaneous Questions

• Are RVs and Boats permitted in Privatized Housing?

Parking of Recreational Vehicles (RVs, boats, trailers, etc.) is generally not allowed within family housing. Two exceptions apply: one, if the vehicle is parked in your garage; or two, for the purpose of loading and unloading. In this case, parking is limited to 24 hours and the vehicle must not obstruct traffic.

• Is there a maintenance program?

Kirtland Family Housing has on-site professional maintenance personnel to provide responsive care for every home. Residents are asked to leave home repairs to these professionals by calling in a service request or contacting the maintenance department via the website.

Click here to view our Newsletter or view other Hunt Military Communities